The City of Winnipeg established its first Parking agency in 1956 to create the Civic Centre Parkade and other new parking facilities. Since that time, organizations have come and gone, and the landscape of Downtown Winnipeg has changed. In the late 70′s the City constructed underground parkades at Centennial Library and Winnipeg Square, but has completed no major parking projects since that time.
In 1996, city managers noted that parking facilities were operated and monitored by three major departments and six divisions, as well as the Province of Manitoba, which provided adjudication of municipal parking tickets. Parking policies and practices in a growing city lacked a central focus, and a single, integrated City department was proposed.
In 1997, this proposal become a leading candidate on the Alternate Service Delivery agenda, and was considered for creation as a self supporting Special Operating Agency. This became reality with the creation of the Winnipeg Parking Authority in 2005.