Contractor Permit Program
Permits for Contractors who wish to park on a City of Winnipeg time restricted non-metered street for longer than the posted maximum or wish to park in an alley while providing contractor services are now available and will become effective the day after purchase. All other regulations and by-laws remain in effect.
Contractor Permits will not be issued to a vehicle that weighs more than 3700 kilograms.
It is the policy of the WPA that any and all outstanding fines and charges must be paid in full prior to the issuance of a parking permit.
- A single permit may be issued for both a truck and a trailer combination.
- If you have more than 1 trailer, you may request to register up to 2 extra trailers at a cost of $50 per trailer.
- The permit will allow the vehicle(s) to be parked in excess of the posted time restriction on residential streets.
- The permit will allow the vehicle(s) to be parked in an alley but does not allow the vehicle(s) to obstruct.
- The permit is not transferable between customers. The permit will be sold to whoever is covering the cost of the permit, which must either be the applicant or the registered owner of the vehicle.
- The permit does not exempt the holder from obeying all other posted traffic and parking regulations including max times and paying at metered locations.
- The permit includes a limitation on parking on the same block for more than a total of 72 hours in a given calendar year; this includes parking in an alley.
For full terms and conditions please see the Contractor Permit Application.
Applying For a Permit
Permits can be applied for by attending our office during regular business hours. Please see below for the documentation we will require at the time of application. All applications are subject to approval.
If the vehicle is registered to the Company:
- A valid MPI Vehicle Registration for each vehicle/trailer that requires a permit; and
- Proof of ownership (Annual Return of Information would be sufficient); or
- If you are not the owner of the Company and are applying on behalf of the Company, a letterhead from the company stating the applicant can purchase the permit on behalf of the company. In this case the permit would be sold to whoever is covering the cost of the permit itself.
If the vehicle is registered to you:
- A valid MPI Vehicle Registration or copy thereof for each vehicle/trailer that requires a permit; and
- If the vehicle is registered in your name and not a company name, you will need to provide a Letter on company letterhead stating you are providing home repair services and the vehicle is being utilized for contractor services within the City of Winnipeg; or
- Other evidence that the vehicle is being used for the provision of contractor services such as Business Registration papers.
Application is required in person and payment will be due at that time. The fee is non-refundable.
The cost of a new permit will be pro-rated by month to equal the amount left in the year.
Current Permit Holders:
All renewals will be charged at the full annual rate.
Changes to Your Vehicle Information
Your licence plate will act as your permit. These permits are Virtual; you will not receive a physical permit to display. Only one support vehicle and one trailer will be allowed per permit unless a fee is paid to add extra trailer(s), up to a max of 3 trailers total. If you update your licence plate you must fill out a form and submit the vehicle registration along with the licence plate update form. Plate updates require a minimum of 1 business day to be processed.
Where to Go
|All Types of Permits||Hours|
495 Portage Avenue
Hours of Operation