Social Service Provider Permit Program
Social Service Permits
Permits for Social Service providers who wish to park on a City of Winnipeg time restricted non-metered street for longer than the posted maximum are available. All other regulations and by-laws remain in effect.
It is the policy of the WPA that any and all outstanding fines and charges must be paid in full prior to the issuance of a parking permit.
Time Restricted - Permit will allow vehicle to be parked in excess of the posted time restriction on residential streets;
- There is a limit of one permit per Social Service Provider which will be linked to a specific licence plate, and will not be transferable.
- Permit does not exempt the holder from obeying all other posted traffic and parking regulations including max times and paying at metered locations.
- Permit includes a limitation on parking on the same block for more than a total of 72 hours in a given calendar year.
For full terms and conditions please see the Social Service Provider Permit Application
Applying For a Permit
Permits can be applied for by attending our office during regular business hours. Please see below for the documentation we will require at the time of application. All applications are subject to approval.
Item 1: Identification
A valid driver’s license is required for all permit applications.
Item 2: Valid MPI Registration
Always bring your valid MPI registration for each vehicle that requires a permit.
If you are not listed as the registered owner of the vehicle, a statutory declaration will need to be completed by the registered owner prior to the application being approved.
Item 3: Proof of Employment
Proof of work in a social service provider capacity, such as:
- Authorized letter from WRHA confirming vehicle owner is currently employed in home care capacity and is required to attend clients in multiple locations throughout the city;
- Authorized letter from employing agency, such as a school division, that the vehicle owner is a social service provider that is required to attend to multiple work locations within the city. In addition to the letter, such service providers will also require proof of membership in a recognized professional association (such as the Manitoba Speech and Hearing Association, which regulates speech pathologists) that governs social service providers.
Social Service Provider Permit:
Application is required in person and payment will be due at that time.
You may start parking the day after the virtual permit is purchased and processed by our office. Visit our FAQs for more information pertaining to virtual permits.
Valid from January 1st - December 31st.
The cost of a new permit will be pro-rated to equal the amount left in the year.
Current Permit Holders:
All renewals will be charged at the full annual rate.
For current rates please refer to the Fee Schedule
Changes to Your Vehicle Information
Your licence plate will act as your permit. These permits are virtual; you will not receive a physical permit to display. Only one vehicle licence plate will be allowed per permit. If you update your licence plate you must fill out a form and submit the vehicle registration along with the licence plate update form.
Note: After hour submissions will be processed the following business day.
In the event a penalty notice has been issued after submitting the plate change request, please have the registered vehicle owner submit a request for screening.
Where to Go
|All Types of Permits||Hours|
495 Portage Avenue
Hours of Operation