Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
Winnipeg Parking Authority
The Parking Store

Frequently Asked Questions

About Winnipeg Parking Authority

What is the Winnipeg Parking Authority supposed to do?
The WPA's mandate is to provide superior parking and associated services to the citizens of Winnipeg in pursuit of the Public Good, and to encourage others to do the same. WPA is responsible for the On-Street paystation system, Off Street city parking lots and garages, and parking enforcement citywide.
What is the WPA hoping to achieve through its operations?

Better quality parking operations on City properties, better quality parking operations in the city generally, more access to public parking in the downtown and throughout the City, business and customer friendly parking regulations, and a "one stop shop" for parking management issues in Winnipeg.

Where is the Parking Authority located? What are the hours? How do I contact the Parking Authority?

Please visit our Contact Us page for our business hours and location.

You can reach us by phoning 311. You can also or fax us at 204-986-5155.

How many parking tickets are issued each day?

About 350 on a regular business day, mostly for timed parking or No Parking/No Stopping type violations.

Isn't this too many?

In Winnipeg, the 350 people who receive parking tickets represent 1% of total daily parkers.

In all parts of the world, parking tickets have been proven to be the most effective way to maintain the integrity of parking regulations, regulations which, in Winnipeg, allow 35,000 people to park hassle-free each day.

Winnipeg actually issues the second lowest volume of tickets per capita of major Canadian cities.

Of the Canadian cities we surveyed in 2008, only Edmonton issued fewer tickets for its population size than Winnipeg.

Here's how Winnipeg compares to some other cities: Toronto: .93 tickets per capita; Vancouver: .67 tickets per capita; Saskatoon: .60 tickets per capita; Victoria: .58 tickets per capita; and, Winnipeg: .21 tickets per capita.

Why does the Winnipeg Parking Authority have the right to issue parking tickets?

WPA personnel are designated Special Constables.

Winnipeg City Council and the Province of Manitoba have provided us with the same authority as the Winnipeg Police Service for issuance of offence notices (tickets) and summons pertaining to parking and non-moving violations.

Are these actual tickets, like you get from the Police?

Yes. Our parking compliance officers have the same authority as the Winnipeg Police Service in issuing offence notices (tickets) and summons pertaining to parking and non-moving violations.

Does the Parking Authority pay taxes?

Yes. The WPA is set up to run as a business. We pay the City municipal taxes, development fees, as well as levies on our activities and on city properties. We also pay a dividend to the City for use of On and Off Street parking assets ($3 million in 2009).

Do City employees get free parking?

No. City employees pay the same rate for parking as everyone else.

Who are the Parking Compliance Officers?

The Winnipeg Parking Authority contracts with a local private management firm to provide staffing for our parking compliance program.

This is the case in most cities in North America.

Prior to being designated Special Constables, all compliance officers are required to undergo an extensive training program to ensure they are familiar with the relevant by-laws and WPA policies and procedures.

What do I do if a parking compliance person is helpful or unhelpful?

Let us know about your experience by . You may also write to us at 495 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg, MB R3B 2E4.

Who else can issue parking tickets?

In specific cases affecting their services and property interests, City by-law tickets can be issued by other agencies including: Winnipeg Transit, CN Police, Winnipeg Park Police, and CP Police.

Parking tickets issued by these groups have the same remedies and force of law as tickets issued by the WPA directly.

Who looks after stolen vehicles or items stolen from my vehicle?

The Winnipeg Police Service. The non-emergency number is 204-986-6222. If you are in immediate danger, call 911.

Who looks after bicycle parking?

The WPA, in concert with the City of Winnipeg Active Transportation Program, offers Bike Corrals, Bike Rings, and Seasonal Bike Pads for the benefit of Winnipeg cyclists.

More information on Bicycle Parking.

As with vehicle parking, private property owners will offer differing levels of service dependent on their determination of their customers' needs.

Who looks after abandoned vehicles or RVs/trucks/trailers parked on my street?

The WPA investigates reports of abandoned vehicles, large vehicles, special purpose vehicles, and trailers parked illegally.

Many people do not realize that it is illegal to park a vehicle that alone or together with any trailer connect to it is longer than 6.7 meters  on a street for more than 1 hour.

For information on leaving other large vehicles and trailers (not RVs) on-street, please call 311 to inquire about obtaining a Lifting of Restrictions (out of town call 1-877-311-4974).

If you are the owner of a Recreational Vehicle and are looking for information on leaving the vehicle on-street for longer than one hour please visit our Temporary Recreational Vehicle Permit webpage.

If I have a question about a Special Event or a film shoot, who do I call?

Phone 311, or , explain your interest, and staff will assist you in finding the appropriate individual.

Who is in charge of Special Events?

Film and Special Events Office at the City of Winnipeg.

Pre-Purchase Parking

Where do I apply for an annual residential parking permit?

For information on what is required to obtain a residential parking permit and/or if you qualify, call The Parking Store at 311, email us at or visit us at 495 Portage Avenue.

More information on Residential Permits.

Hours & Location

Why do I need a residential permit for my area?

Residential permits are established in residential areas where there is a requirement for time restricted parking due to vehicle volume that displaces residents from their residential streets.

A residential permit allows the resident to park their registered vehicle with exemption from the posted time restrictions on their street. In most cases, this does not allow residential permits to be used at metered parking.

Residential parking permit holders can only park in their specific residential zone and are required to obey all traffic by-laws, including all annual snow route bans, residential parking bans, and public works street works signs for spring and fall street cleaning.

I live on residential street with time restrictions. How do I accommodate parking for guests?

The WPA will issue a temporary residential permit for visitors, to a maximum of 3 temporary permits issued per year. The term "visitor" refers to an out of town visitor who stays for an extended period of time (overnight, a weekend, a week or so, but no more than three weeks).

Visitor permits are available to addresses that already have a valid Residential Permit with no fee for the visitor permit but is subject to approval. To request a visitor's permit, visit The Parking Store at 495 Portage Avenue.

The visitor's valid registration is required to process the permit.

How do I cancel my Residential Permit?

Please let us know that you no longer require your residential permit so we can deactivate it in our system. In person or by mail to 495 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg, MB R3B 2E4 or by calling 311.

What if my transponder/access card has been stolen?

If your transponder/access card has been stolen, you can report the theft to Winnipeg Police and WPA will replace the permit at no cost when provided with a police report number.

If I have a problem with parking on my street who can I call? Why do I have to make my parking infraction report through 311?

Call 311 for assistance.

Parking enforcement officers are out 24 hours a day both patrolling and responding to complaint calls. Having all calls made through 311 allows time for dispatch to prioritize these calls and respond to urgent situations. Having all complaints made through one number also allows for better tracking of these concerns.

Where do I get a monthly permit for a Parking Authority parking lot or parkade?

For information on availability, call The Parking Store at 311, or visit us.

I want to cancel my monthly parking. What is the cancellation policy?

Cancelling a parking Permit

To cancel, please remit the following to the Parking Store at 495 Portage Avenue:

  • Written notice in the form of a completed cancellation form, providing one month’s notice.


One calendar month’s written notice is required for cancellations. The cancellation must be received by the Winnipeg Parking Authority by the 1st of the month for cancellation to be effective on the last day of the month. The 1 month notice period will not start until this form has been successfully received by the Winnipeg Parking Authority.

NOTE: Failure to submit the form with proper notice prior to the requested cancellation date will result in charges continuing until a month’s notice has been provided. All parking equipment (transponders, access cards) must be returned to the Winnipeg Parking Authority Office (495 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg, MB R3B 2E4), by the 5th day in the effective cancellation month - after this time any equipment deposits would be forfeit.

What facilities does the Parking Authority operate?

Facilities for public use are:

  • Millennium Library parkade
  • Waterfront, and Old St. Boniface lots

To find a parkade/lot near you, or for more information on individual parkades/lots, visit the Find Parking section of our website.

How do I know it's a WPA lot?

Watch for our Civic "P" brand.

What if I find a lot that looks like it needs maintenance?

Phone 311. You can also , fax us at 204-986-5155, or use the email form in the Contact Us section of our website.

Does the WPA buy and sell parking lots?

No, WPA does not hold title to its lots. This is managed through the City of Winnipeg Planning Property and Development, Real Estate Division

When should I use an off street parking lot?

Whenever you plan to stay - or may be required to stay - at your destination longer than 30 minutes.

How big is a parking stall inside a lot or structure?

The by-law calls for 8.5 ft. X 21 ft.

Pay for Parking As You Go

How do paystations work?

When you approach the machine, insert your credit card or coin and the machine will wake up.

Then push the silver buttons to the right to purchase maximum time or increments of time as instructed. Push the green button to print a receipt and leave the receipt on your dash.

There is a video on how paystations work in the videos section of our website.

What if I don't know how to use a paystation?

The best idea is to learn how to use a paystation before you need to use it.

There is a video on how paystations work in the videos section of our website.

You can also ask a parking enforcement officer or a Downtown Watch officer, both have been trained and are ready to provide a short instruction.

What do I do if I find a paystation that is not working?

For your convenience, we recommend using the PayByPhone technology.

The number for PayByPhone in Winnipeg is 1-204-957-PARK (7275). Although you can register over your phone, we recommend registration on-line through their website.

PayByPhone advantages:

  • Pay for parking from your vehicle while parked in a parking spot
  • Provides a reminder when your time is about to expire
  • Allows you to manage your account on-line, including access to electronic parking receipts

You may also use the next available pay station located on the street.

*Please note that the corporate policy of the WPA regarding refunds is to only grant requests when evidence supports that the payment was a result of a system and/or application error which a citizen cannot reasonably be expected to control.
Do I take the receipt with me?

No. Leave it face side up on the dash so we can see your times.

Please note that if we cannot see your receipt through your windshield, it is considered a parking violation and you may get a ticket.

More information on displaying your receipt and other Meter Payment Methods information.

While displaying my disabled permit, am I required to pay for parking?

Yes. All vehicles parked in a designated paid parking spot must make payment using one of the available payment options.

Meter payment methods include purchasing a paystation receipt, using PayByPhone, displaying a Scratch Meter Permit or the proper Meter Permit.

Click here for more information regarding parking with a disability permit.

How many paystation stalls are there?

Approximately 3,700.

How far do I have to walk to find a paystation?

There is one pay station on every block on non-regional streets, and one pay station on every block face (each side of the street) on regional streets, with pay stations remaining nearest to accessible parking areas where feasible.

Who decides where parking paystations go, what they cost, and how much time they offer?

The CAO establishes paid parking locations, hours and time limits under the Winnipeg Parking By-Law. The COO may place and maintain paystations.

Does the WPA still use parking meters?

No. Winnipeg utilizes centralized paystation technology.

Pay as you go On-Street parking is located in the downtown; to a 2 hour maximum, with the option to remeter for an extra 30 minutes once the purchased maximum has expired.

On the streets around the St. Boniface Hospital and Health Sciences Centre, most stalls are currently 4 hour zones.

There are still meters left in Winnipeg, but are owned either by the province or a private enterprise.

For current rates please refer to the Fee Schedule

When should I use an on-street parking space?

For short stay parking only. For longer stay parking, please use off street parkades or lots.

Why can't on-street parking offer more time or less time?

As a result of input from our stakeholders, the majority of paystations in the City have been converted to 2 hours.

Some paystations at St. Boniface Hospital and the Health Sciences Centre campus allow 4 hours in recognition of the additional time that is often required when visiting these facilities.

What kind of payment is taken for casual parking at parkades and lots?

All of our lots have paystations (same as on-street parking) take coin, credit card (Visa, American Express, Master Card), and Verrus (PayByPhone).

The Millennium Parkade also has paystations (a little different than the on-street paystations) that accept the same payment as lots. In addition to this, but at the booth only, we accept debit cards. The Millennium Library Parkade booth is open 24 hours.

Penalty notices (tickets)

What do the acronyms and/or abbreviations on my ticket mean?
I.F.O In Front Of ABND Abandoned
IGF Investors Group Field ALPR Automated Licence Plate Recognition
F/H Fire Hydrant AUTH Authorized
F/B Front Bumper DISP Displayed
L/Z Loading Zone EVT Event
NIV Not in PayByPhone EXP Expired
RCT Receipt LOC Location
SCP Signs Clearly Posted VEH Vehicle
S/S Stop Sign VIS Visible
Prkg Parking Rdwy Roadway
Proh Prohibited S/Walk Sidewalk
OT Overtime Rte Route
Lmt Limit Vend. Vendor
I've received a parking penalty notice (ticket) but I am not sure what I did wrong. How can I find out?

Visit our parking violations page.

Manitoba Public Insurance publishes basic information on illegal parking in the Manitoba Driver Handbook.

If you still have questions, contact the Winnipeg Parking Authority.

Parking rules and regulations are outlined in Provincial legislation and City of Winnipeg By-Laws:

Review of penalty notices (tickets) is governed by:

How do I pay a penalty notice (ticket)?

You may pay your penalty notice online, by phone, in person or by drop box. You can find more information on these methods in the Pay a Penalty Notice (Ticket) section of our website.

Does the Parking Authority arrange payment plans for outstanding penalty notices (tickets)?

No. To make payment on outstanding parking penalty notices (tickets) you may pay online, by phone, in person or by drop box. You can find more information on these methods in the Pay a Penalty Notice (Ticket) section of our website.

If I have received a parking penalty notice (ticket) in error, or if I disagree, what do I do?

Use the Request Screening menu options to determine the correct course of action to take based on the date of issuance.

What is the City’s Privacy Policy with respect to the collection of personal information when issuing penalty notices?

Privacy Statement: This collection of your personal information is authorized by section 24 of The Municipal By-law Enforcement Act, may be used for the collection of outstanding fines issued in accordance with City by-laws, and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the City of Winnipeg’s Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information

I parked the vehicle. Why do I need the registered owner's permission to have the penalty notice (ticket) reviewed?

Under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA), the Province limits the sharing of personal information, including information around vehicle registration and parking contraventions, without a person's permission. As the Municipal By-Law Enforcement Act makes the registered owner of a vehicle responsible for any parking contraventions, the Winnipeg Parking Authority requires the written authorization of the registered owner in order to allow someone else to have their penalty notice (ticket) reviewed.

If I disagree with a City by-law that is enforced by a parking penalty notice (ticket), what should I do?

Contact your Councillor and request a change to the By-Law.

The needs of the City change from year to year and policy direction can occur at Council level.

To find out the name of your City Council member, go to the City of Winnipeg's Citizen's Information service.

From there, you can get your Council member's contact information from the Current Council Members page on the City of Winnipeg website.

What if I refuse or forget to pay?

If you fail to take any action on your penalty notice (ticket) issued after August 8, 2016, a Final Notice will be sent 30 days after the date of ticket issuance.  If no action is taken or payment applied within 30 days after you have received, or are deemed to have received, the Final Notice, all legal means available may be used for collection of the outstanding fine, including seizure and impoundment of any registered vehicles you own.

What if I get towed?

If you think your vehicle has been towed, call 311.

We will know if your vehicle was removed by our staff, and we may be able to help locate your vehicle if it was removed by others.

The WPA may tow vehicles that are parked where prohibited, or where the removal of the vehicle is necessary due to emergency access, traffic flow, blocking of required space, or some other urgent situation. Vehicles may also be towed if their owner has three or more outstanding parking tickets that are past the appeal deadline, and they are found committing another parking offence.

Towing is performed by a local towing company on contract to the City, and all fees associated with the tow are payable to reimburse the contractor, as is standard in most cities.

If you feel your vehicle was towed unlawfully, you may request a refund by emailing us or by visiting our office at 495 Portage Avenue; a copy of the tow receipt must be provided as part of the request.

Please note that refunds are only granted in cases where a vehicle was towed unlawfully and not in compliance with the Highway Traffic Act.

Mobile Vendor Parking Permit Program

Why do I need to get a permit?

Under City of Winnipeg traffic regulations commercial transactions in the roadway are prohibited unless you have a Use of Streets or Mobile Vendor Parking Permit.

Do I still have to plug the meter?

You do not have to pay for parking , Monday through Saturday if you have a high demand or low demand permit and are carrying on business, and parked within the parking demand area which your permit applies.

What does the permit cost?

For current rates please refer to the Fee Schedule.

When can I park with a metered permit?

A Metered Permit allows the unit to operate Monday - Saturday, holidays inclusive, adhering to all parking restrictions and City of Winnipeg by-laws at the corresponding on-street metered location, as approved by the permit and so long as there are no more than two Mobile Vendor Units stationed on the same block face. Parking can resume once the parking meters are no longer in effect and do not require payment, but still adhering to all posted parking restrictions.

When can I park with a non-metered permit?

On streets where there is no meter payment required, (including time restricted streets). The non-metered permit will also allow parking in metered areas after the meter is no longer in effect but permit holders must still adhere to all other posted parking restrictions.

Why do vehicles over 22' pay more?

Under the Parking Meter By-law any vehicle that takes up more than one parking space is required to pay for two parking spaces. This applies to any vehicle whether they are a mobile vendor or not.

What do I need to get a permit?

You will need the following to apply for a permit:

  • Completed permit application
  • Valid driver’s licence, if co-owners both are required to provide valid ID
  • Valid vehicle registration (for truck and trailer combination, only vendor trailer registration is required)
  • For mobile food vendors, a valid permit issued under section 3 of the Food and Food Handling Establishments Regulations, Manitoba Regulation 339/88R.
  • For Support Vehicle Permits, a valid Use of Streets permit
  • If you are a co-owner or your vehicle is registered to a numbered company we will require corporate/partnership documentation such as the articles of incorporation
  • If you are not listed as the registered owner on the vehicle registration, an authorizing letter detailing the vehicle license plate and authorization of use by the applicant will need to be completed by the registered owner prior to the application being approved.
Do I require a Mobile Vendor permit for my truck or trailer if I am only attending festivals in Winnipeg that have a Use of Street permit?

Based on the Streets bylaw, section 4.01.01, a use of streets permit from the Public Works department takes precedence over the requirement of a mobile vendor parking permit. Therefore, if the unit is registered under the use of streets permit, a mobile vendor parking permit would not be required to park on the street. However, if there is no use of streets permit, there is a requirement to have a mobile vendor permit to complete a commercial transaction on a roadway within the City of Winnipeg.

I have more questions, who should I direct them to?

For information, call The Parking Store at 311, email us at or visit us at 495 Portage Avenue.

Hours & Location

Virtual Permits

Do I need to return my hang tag permit to get my deposit back if the permit has been transitioned to a virtual permit?

No. The WPA will automatically be refunding any deposits paid for permits. You should destroy the hang tag permit once your virtual permit is in effect. Please do not display your invalid hang-tag permit.

Why didn’t I get anything notifying me of the change to virtual permit?

WPA sent notice to current permit holders of the virtual permit. A follow up email/letter is also sent once the virtual permit has been assigned to the account. If your contact information has changed since your initial application, please call 311 to verify its accuracy.

Why haven’t I received my deposit refund yet?

Each account is reviewed for a deposit prior to being assigned a new virtual permit. If a deposit was collected for a permit that was converted to virtual, a refund will be processed. Please note that this may take a few months due to the large amount of refunds being processed.

How do I update my licence plate linked to a virtual permit?

For information relating to permits, including how to update your licence plate information, please find the related permit type under the Parking Information > Permits section.

What does the information on my Permit Approval Notification mean?

Permit notifications will automatically be system generated for accounts that have had a virtual permit sold to them.

The permit notification will be emailed if an email address has been provided, otherwise it will be sent out by regular mail.

Permit Number – The assigned permit number. You will use this number when you need to update WPA with any changes to the permit.

Permit Description – Description of which type of permit was approved.

Effective Date – The effective date will vary based on the type of permit:

  • Month to month permit and visitor permit – The effective date is the date you may start parking.
  • Annual permit – The effective date is the date the permit renewal would normally start and not the date you purchased it. You may start parking 1 day after the permit is purchased.

Expiry Date – The expiry date will also vary based on the type of permit:

  • Month to month permit – The expiry date is the last day of the month that you started parking and the permit will continue to renew on a monthly basis as long as payments are received.
  • Visitor permit – This expiry date will be a maximum of 30 days past the effective date and is the date that the permit will no longer be active.
  • Annual Permit – The expiry date for an annual permit is when the permit will expire and is also when you will have to re-apply if you wish to obtain another permit.

Licence Plate – The licence plate listed on the approved application is what is linked to your permit. The plate is what enforcement officers will use to verify there is a valid permit in our system.

If the licence plate on your notification is incorrect or doesn’t appear in your permit notification email, please notify our office.

Please remember to always keep your plate information up to date to avoid receiving parking infractions relating to the parking permit.

Contractor Permits

Can I purchase a Contractor Permit for my work trailer?

If you meet the requirements for a Contractor permit, a single permit may be issued for both a truck and a trailer combination. If you have more than one trailer, you may register up to 2 additional trailers for an annual fee per each additional trailer.

Can I leave my trailer on the job site while not actively working?

If you are going to be leaving your trailer at a site for longer than the 1 hour time restriction that applies to trailers, you would be required to update your permit to include the trailers licence plate, otherwise you will not be covered under the permit.

What documentation will I need to qualify for a Contractor Permit?

If the vehicle is registered to the Company

  • Valid vehicle registration for each vehicle/trailer that requires a permit.
  • Proof of ownership (Annual Return of Information would be sufficient); or
  • If you are not the owner of the Company and are applying on behalf of the Company, a letterhead from the company stating the applicant can purchase the permit on behalf of the company. In this case the permit would be sold to whoever is covering the cost of the permit itself.

If the vehicle is registered to you

  • Valid vehicle registration for each vehicle/trailer that requires a permit.
  • If the vehicle is registered in your name and not a company name, you will need to provide a letter on company letterhead stating you are providing home repair services and the vehicle is being utilized for contractor services within the City of Winnipeg; or
  • Other evidence that the vehicle is being used for the provision of contractor services such as Business Registration papers
How much is the permit?

For current rates please refer to the Fee Schedule. The fee is non-refundable.

New applicants:

The cost of a new permit will be pro-rated monthly to equal the amount left in the year.

Current Permit Holders:

All renewals will be charged at the full annual rate.

Temporary Recreational Vehicle Permit

What is a recreational vehicle?

A Recreational Vehicle (RV) means a vehicle designed for camping and other recreational purposes. It includes, but is not limited to, a motorhome, a truck on which a camper has been installed, a camping or travel trailer, and any trailer carrying recreational equipment such as a boat or other watercraft, a snowmobile, all-terrain vehicle or other off-road vehicle.

Is there a limit on how many RV permits I can apply for?

Yes, each applicant is able to have four permits in respect to one or more recreational vehicles per calendar year.

Is there a limit on how many times I may activate each permit?

Yes. Each permit may be activated a maximum of 3 days, up to 4 times per year.

How much does the Temporary RV permit cost?

Visit the Temporary Recreational Vehicle Parking Permit Page for information including cost.

Unpaid Tickets and Debt Collection

What collection action does the City use for outstanding fines for parking and other non-parking by-law contraventions?

The City is able to apply several different debt collection powers in accordance with provincial law. These include the use of a contracted third-party collection agent as well as the lien, seizure, and auction of vehicles owned by a debtor. If you have received a letter regarding outstanding tickets, please follow the instructions in the letter and contact the City or the appropriate collection agent.

I have outstanding fines that are payable to the City's collection agent, Gatestone & Co., but I'm having difficulty reaching them to make arrangements for payment. What is the best way to contact Gatestone & Co.?

For information related to outstanding fines that are payable Gatestone & Co., please contact the company's collections team directly by email at or via telephone at 1-866-238-2838.

Why is it important for the City to issue parking tickets?

The City issues parking tickets to encourage compliance with parking regulations. These regulations are in place to ensure safety for drivers and pedestrians, maintain the efficient flow of traffic, and provide fair access to the City’s parking spaces.

What changes to the towing and impound policy is the City implementing?

The City is implementing a new policy for towing and impounding the vehicle belonging to anyone with three or more outstanding parking tickets who is caught committing another parking offence. Owners of vehicles towed under this policy will not be required to pay the full amount of their outstanding parking ticket debt in order to retrieve their vehicles from the impound lot. However, they will need to pay the towing fee, storage fees, and any applicable administration fees.

What if I receive a notification that my vehicle(s) are eligible for tow and impound because I have unpaid tickets?

There are several convenient ways to pay your outstanding tickets: online, over the phone by calling 311, by mail, or in person at the Winnipeg Parking Authority offices at 495 Portage Avenue.

How many times can my vehicle be towed and impounded under the new policy?

A vehicle whose owner has three or more outstanding tickets will be authorized for tow when it is found parked illegally on a city street. The owner of a vehicle towed under this policy will not be required to pay the full amount of their outstanding parking ticket debt in order to retrieve their vehicles from the impound lot. However, they will need to pay the towing fee, storage fees, and any applicable administration fees. There is no limit on the number of times a vehicle may be towed under this policy.

Residential Parking Permit Program

What are residential parking permits?

A residential parking permit is a type of on-street parking permit issued by the Winnipeg Parking Authority (WPA) to residents living at a qualifying address within a residential parking zone. A residential permit allows the registered vehicle to park longer than the posted time restriction (excluding all annual snow route bans, residential parking bans, public works street works signs for spring street cleaning and snow/ice removal, etc.)

How many residential permits can I get?

Residents living at qualifying addresses can apply for up to three permits. Each permit is valid for only one vehicle.

How long are Residential Parking Permits valid?

Residential parking permits are valid for one year from the date they are approved.

Why are prices increasing?

This is the first fee increase for Residential Parking Permits since 2006. These fees help to cover the cost of administering the Residential Parking Permit program and encourage users to consider alternative parking locations or modes of transportation. The new fees are approved by Council and will be implemented starting June 1, 2024.

How much are the updated Residential Parking Permit fees?

The City is introducing a new tiered permit pricing structure to provide more equitable access to on-street parking in residential areas where time limits are in effect. The new system will encourage households with multiple vehicles to consider other off-street parking options and different transportation modes.

Permits will be priced as follows:

 Onehousehold vehicle/permit:  One household vehicle/permit: $50 annually

  Two household vehicles/permits:  Two household vehicles/permits: $125 annually ($50 + $75)

   Three household vehicles/permits:  Three household vehicles/permits: $325 annually ($50 + $75 + $200)

Can visitors get a pass when going to a household that has a residential parking permit?

Residential permit holders may receive a complimentary visitor permit for a period of up to two weeks. Visitor permits for longer than two weeks, up to the maximum 30 days are available for $5.00 including GST and are non-refundable.

This Fact Sheet is provided for information only. Should there be any possible conflict between the information in this Fact Sheet and the approved By Law, the By Law shall prevail.

Last update: April 30, 2024

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.